View Single Post
      05-09-2023, 04:34 PM   #318
argento
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

Diy oem cf splitter installation

OVERVIEW: I believe these OEM CF Splitters are NLA from BMW and installation kits were included with purchase of splitter only. However, used ones are still out there, so keep looking. My first attempt to install this w/o an installation kit and using double sided tape resulted in ¼” gaps between the bumper and the splitter at each corner. I believe the installation is still possible with double side tape, but I’m posting an alternative. First sincere thanks to 0-60Motorsports who, after my first attempt, sent me photos of how his shop installed the splitter. Then the dealer finally came through with a request I had made a month earlier for OEM instructions. Using this info, I put together an installation kit. Installing the splitter with the bumper removed and using the Dupont Betalink adhesive allowed me to mount the splitter flush against the bumper.

COMPONENTS:
I've included the OEM instructions at the end of this post. The OEM installation kit is normally included with purchase of the OEM CF Splitter. If you’ve bought one used like I did, then use the following table to put together a custom kit. Your vehicle likely has the nuts, but to avoid removing them for splitter install and then reinstalling them on the vehicle, order a few:
Name:  CF Splitter Install Kit_May2023.png
Views: 320
Size:  69.9 KB

**Missing one fastener...it's on order...
Name:  Components List_CF Splitter.png
Views: 335
Size:  737.8 KB

Name:  Component Locations.png
Views: 246
Size:  1.04 MB

INSTALLATION:
Overview: Remove and clean bumper mounting surface, clean splitter mounting surfaces, apply double sided tape, apply betalink adhesive to splitter, and then mount splitter to bumper and fasten. Wipe up excess adhesive and allow seal to dry 6 hours prior to reinstallation of bumper. Avoid car washes or rain storms within 48 hours of installation.

-To install the splitter with no gaps between splitter and M front bumper it is recommended that the bumper be removed. Disconnect negative battery cable to avoid an error being recorded due to disconnecting PDC harness. Rough disassembly: there are six 8mm hex head screws under the bumper. There are five large flange hex head screws above the bumper at the kidney grills/intake. There is one 8mm hex head screw behind each reflector. There are two bolts in each wheel well. There are three, body colored, locking plastic tabs on each side of the bumper beneath the headlights. Pull lower bumper away from wheel wells to more easily see locking tab locations. CAUTION: Do not break locking tabs by pulling directly out with force. Use old smooth-faced credit cards, or equivalent, and slide them in fully to press the locking tabs down. Before completely removing the bumper, unplug the PDC main connector and then the side camera connectors if applicable.

-Fully clean the splitter mounting surface on the M front bumper to ensure Betalink adhesive properly seals.

-Completely clean the splitter mounting surface and remove any old double-sided tape. This can be tedious, however using Goo-Gone on the debris and allowing it to soak overnight will make residue removal much easier. The Beta link kit comes with a helpful serrated tool that can be used to scrape and remove residue on splitter mounting surface.

-Apply ½” wide 3M double sided tape as shown in the OEM instructions 01 29 2 230 287. Peel back red protective tape prior to applying Betalink adhesive.

Name:  Betalink Installation.png
Views: 309
Size:  46.1 KB

-Have mounting fasteners and applicable tools ready to use prior to applying Betalink adhesive.

-Mark the path of the Betalink adhesive with a pencil, following the path displayed in the OEM instructions.

-Orient the bumper so that bottom faces upward and the splitter can be easily set on the bumper.

-Apply the Betalink using the provided nozzle from the kit. It reaches tackiness fairly quickly after application.

-Mount the splitter onto the bumper and apply fasteners loosely. Then ensure the splitter is mounted flush against front of the bumper while simultaneously hand tightening the fasteners beginning with the A position fastener. Quickly remove any excess Betalink that leaks out.

-Flip the bumper so that it sits on the splitter.

-Allow the seal to dry approximately 6 hours before reinstallation of the bumper.

-Avoid contact with water for 48 hours after installation

OEM CF SPLITTER INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS:
X5 e70_OEM Splitter Instructions.PDF

-END.

Name:  Left corner.png
Views: 325
Size:  1.11 MB

Name:  Right Corner.png
Views: 324
Size:  957.4 KB

Name:  center final.png
Views: 333
Size:  1.08 MB

Last edited by argento; 05-24-2023 at 08:43 PM..
Appreciate 2
///SY33140.00
TTV8M125.00