View Single Post
      05-11-2019, 12:20 AM   #3
coop2626
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 50i

Hey guys, just joined tonight to post my experience with the N63 engine replacement and Bang Settlement.

Have a 2013 E71 50 with 65K miles. Purchased as CPO in January 2017. The CPO warranty expired, you guessed it, April 2019.

What's unique to my story is the car never had oil consumption issues or smoke issues, as so many do with the N63. A week ago, under hard take-off acceleration, the car hesitated slightly. Other than that one instance, the car's performed perfectly.

Fast forward to two days ago, driving down the freeway, car goes into limp mode. Pull over, power down and restart the car. Get back on the road, everything's fine for a few minutes and then transmission/engine warning lights illuminate the dash and it drives with sluggish gear shifts and extremely loud knocking and pinging. I then pull over and have it towed to the dealership. Good times!

Dealership calls and says the engine is toast. They then reach out to their BMW NA rep and I wait for a day (I believe I'm the first one to have the N63 failure at their dealership). Today the dealership calls and states BMW NA replied and they've been instructed to follow the Bang settlement replacement percentages. For my mileage (65K) BMW will cover 85% of the engine replacement costs. Total costs will be around $13K, my portion will be around $2K for a new engine. My SA said plan for one month, but, he didn't confirm availability of the new engine yet. They're putting me in an Enterprise rental car tomorrow, no loaner. At least for my experience, the car showed no oil consumption problems, no smoke problems, virtually nothing until the engine just suddenly died.

I'll keep you guys posted, and best of luck to each of you out there with the N63.
Appreciate 0