02-05-2019, 01:23 PM   #16
SimSimmah
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudgypepper View Post
Is it possible to use Waze and Google Maps with this? Also, can the phone be used while it is plugged in?
Here is a link for more info on CarPlay from the horses mouth including a list of supported apps:
https://www.apple.com/ios/carplay

Assuming this interface operates like typical CarPlay systems, when you navigate using your phone, the screen in the vehicle follows along when it can or goes to a standby screen when it can't. When you jump back into an app that's compatible with CarPlay and put the phone down, CarPlay resumes.

Example:
I'm driving along using Waze, the phone screen is off, the BMW display shows Waze.
I stop in a parking lot to play a game. The BMW screen does not display the game, but I'm able to use the phone to play like normal without physically disconnecting from CarPlay. Once I'm finished playing my game, I turn the Waze app back on my phone and the BMW screen also displays Waze.

This has been my personal experience with CarPlay using Mopar's Uconnect or GM's CUE systems. I'm assuming/hoping this system will yield the same result.

Last edited by SimSimmah; 02-05-2019 at 01:25 PM.. Reason: Grammar is hard
Appreciate 0