05-07-2019, 04:52 PM   #11
laselvasurf
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 X5M/Ford Raptor/19 BMW i3

Quote:
Originally Posted by yco View Post
what kind of sound you hear when you try to start it?
didnt have any experience like this but depending on the problem it may not need a new engine..

PS: why 2 X5's mate?
It makes a clicking sound, it'll start to turn over but won't get far. My mechanic said he found metal shards in the oil and was unable to get a clean rotation with his biggest breaker bar. Last we talked he had only spend a couple hours digging into it, so things could of changed. We'll find out soon.

As for 2 X5s... I bought my wife's two years ago and love it. After 3 years of driving an escalade daily, I got tired of having a slow/terribly handling vehicle so I went completely the other way and ended up with the X5M. I will most likely get an X3 for my wife and sell her X5 as it's the biggest vehicle she's owned and wants something a bit more nimble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearlpower View Post
Sorry to read. What exactly is wrong with the motor? A mechanic saying it is "Done" does not cut it.
My mechanic wasn't sure. He just found metal in the oil and it wouldn't turn. He's digging into it more now, so hopefully I'll hear more over the next day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IN-FLT View Post
Agreed .. would be looking for 2nd opinion quickly.
I think the warranty company will do as much as possible to verify the issue. He's a solid mechanic with years experience working on m cars, so I'm confident in his knowledge and skills. If the warranty company bails, then I'll definitely look for a 2nd opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneca View Post
sorry to hear about this luckily I never experienced such event but I would also suggest to get more details about what exactly wrong!

good luck!
Thanks, I'll post an update once I get more info from my mechanic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quick View Post
It's very important to know the history of the vehicle especially when you recently purchased it as used. Is the car modified and what tune is it running? Mileage, maintenance and oil change intervals would help too

If you do decide to part out, I call dibs on the front spoiler j/k
It was well taken care of. The previous owner had it from 40K until 92K when I bought it. He only did the maintenance required by BMW, so the oil changes were done far less often than I would of done. That said, he did take care of everything that came up, so nothing was neglected. It currently is at 97K(roughly), it's not modified at all and has no tune. Completely stock other than me adding the front splitter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeO View Post
IIRC, you went with PRco insurance coverage your indie mechanic recommended amirite? So if the diagnosis is indeed true, it looks like you are covered from day 1. Not sure about Ghassan Automotive replacement S63's. Maybe you can verify with PRco on that. Good luck with your claim and outcome.
Your memory is correct, we'll see how the process goes with PRco. Based on my understanding of the contract, it will be fully covered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9vapors View Post
Ghassan motors are known to be great.
Thank you, that's good to know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greddy91 View Post
Still in break in for a Ghassan build currently. I work from home so... it's taking a ton of time to get done. I have barely been in boost, so I can't tell you what it's like at WOT after the build yet (or for some time still.) What I can tell you is that there is no more black on my exhaust tips, the motor (with forged rods and pistons) is noticeably more responsive and the build appears to be flawless so far.

I cannot recommend using him enough.

I've given a couple of recommendations for him via phone and happy to do the same for you if you'd like to chat.

The guy is a class act and he totally had the chance to talk on a couple fo extra thousand dollars in the parts selection process, but was faithful to me as a customer.

I don't know know how many of you have dealt with speed shops previously, but there are definitely some shady characters out there... Gee isn't one. That's the most valuable thing I think can be said of a mechanic; he's got skills and morals.

That's a rare thing.
That's awesome to hear! I will definitely keep them in mind depending on what my mechanic and the warranty company come up with as a solution.
2019 i3
Appreciate 0