View Single Post
      04-27-2016, 07:56 AM   #13
Travis1807
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

Sorry, I know its been to long since I updated this. At any rate here is what I promised. Let me know if you have questions and I will do my best to answer them.

In my opinion the design that BMW has implemented concerning the CCV system for the S63tu update is far more advanced then what we are running in our S63. I strongly believe we should be running a dual catch can setup and I'm currently in the works of replacing the entire system. I will update you with more when I have it.

Brief Description of the S63tu CCV system and its operation

The cylinder head cover is a new design with integrated crankcase ventilation and line routing. The operating principle of the CCV is from the N63 engine. A separate line from the CCV sys. to the air intake sys. is not used on the S63tu engine. Separate bore holes for the individual intake ports are integrated in the cylinder head. Every bank has its own crankcase ventilation ducts.

The camshaft sensors are positioned on the front of the cylinder head cover.

To separate the oil in the blow-by gas (this is what a catch can sys. is looking to achieve), a labyrinth oil separator is used. A pre-separator and a impact plate with small air vents are aligned in the flow direction. The oil drops are separated at these barriers and return to the cylinder head via the return line. an impact surface with an upstream filter ensures further separation of oil particles. The oil return is equipped with a non-return valve (PCV Valve) in order to prevent direct intake of blow-by gases without separation. if the oil level increases in this pipe, the non-return valve opens and the oil drops onto the cylinder head. Finally, the cleaned blow-by gasses are re-fed into the intake system depending on the operating condition of the engine via the non-return valve or via the volume control valve.
Attached Images

TTV8M122.50