11-26-2020, 03:43 AM   #177
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBri89 View Post
I still, having read the relevant section of the FIA Technical Regulations and Sporting Regulations do not see how DAS is actually legal.

It changes the TOE of the car, not the STEERING.
TOE is a function of suspension, much like camber and castor, and those are required to be fixed by the rules.

If it changed the CAMBER by leaning the tyres in or straightening them up, that would not be allowed. But somehow it has been interpreted as steering, which it is not.

Fair play to Mercedes though, they interpreted a loophole, brought the FIA in and got a ruling on it BEFORE they incorporated it into the car. By the time any other teams knew about it in Barca testing 2020, it was too late for the rest of the teams to catch up.

But there is no way that it is a steering thing, it is definitely altering suspension characteristics, and that for me given the words of the regulations mean it should not have been permitted, and when they enquired with the FIA, the FIA should have said no.
An interesting point but I would have thought (as did the FIA arbitrators) that the DAS system does not affect the suspension nor the cars aerodynamics and therefore was not covered under any technical (or sporting) regulation banning such a system.
Although a little bit of a stretch (in the sense that the devices principle aim is not about steering the car) it does seem fair to include the device under steering as toe angle does indeed actually affect the steering.

Its a bit of a storm in a tea cup as all teams have had plenty of time (since the beginning of the season) to add a similar device to their cars but apparently no one thought it was worth the trouble.
Appreciate 0