View Single Post
      11-24-2020, 09:46 PM   #19
bmwpower603
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E36 m3 coupe 08 e90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobacs View Post
I would think that is it. He beat me to it by one day That engine should be trouble free for a while.
Those re-manufactured s63 engine only includes the long block. Valve covers, down to the oil pan. Water pump, vacuum pump are the only items included. I do wonder if these engines come with the updated rear coolant cover.

I have finally purchased my X5 M just about a month ago. (full bmw service history.) And the car still needs major services. But is healthy, godwilling non-the -less.

My suggestion to anyone wanting one of these vehicles. Make sure it does include extensive service records. Or do NOT buy it. Simple as that.

I frequently talk to one of the highest profile BMW teacher in North America. Who has tuned the fastest cars in the world. And is a BMW encyclopedia. His exact words when I told him I purchased an X5 M. "N63 are terrible, S63 is much better." And I will only have to change the oil. ( I am A BMW tech so obviously alot more will be needed ) But as far as rod bearings, oil pump, timing chains.. These engines should do very well with 3-5k oil changes. Mine M had oil changes done at the dealership every 8k. Which isnt TERRIBLE, but should be done at 3k-5k moving forward.

As soon as I got my x5 M. I dug right into the engine. All my turbo coolant lines, were brand new. Updated rear engine coolant cover. Radiator is new, engine partitions, injectors are index 12. (but had plenty of oil on a few of them) So I performed a valve cover service. Cleaned off the injectors, replaced the seals, used some Techtron. I did the vacuum pump seal. Which was VERY difficult to do with the engine still in the vehicle. I also replaced the alternator, water pump, every vacuum line, coolant transfer pipe, spark plugs, and installed a turbo blanket. (which actually works wonders)

These engines are the pinnacle of motorsport technology. There will never be anything more advanced. Since we are slowly switching to electric. With that being said, these engines need extensive care. Care which I actually enjoy. It probably took me 80 hours or more to replace everything on the top end. And I still need to do oil pans upper and lower.

If anyone every attempts to work on the engine, and has trouble. Feel free to PM me. The engine is very complicated, and without the right tools, would be impossible to work on.

Cheers-
Appreciate 5
eDubz47.00
pdX5M111.50
argento538.00
XRatedM136.50