06-24-2015, 07:47 PM   #91
gixxerboy63
Tanzanite Blue II X5M Pilot
Rep
Drives: M3, M4, X3 M40i, X5M

Garage List
2017 m4  [0.00]
2010 BMW X5M  [10.00]
^So I was daydreaming a little.... Blame it on my ADD.

Back on task.
I decided to do away with my front bumper plate mount, fix the holes and have the front bumper professionally resprayed. Once the bumper came off, I started looking at the side skirts and the rear bumper and the rest of the truck. I noticed that the side skirts have the typical "road pitting" next to and extending into the rear fender extensions. The rear bumper also had one or two small imperfections... these pieces were the only distraction to the overall finish of the truck, so I decided to take them off and finish them properly (bumpers and side skirt).

While the bumpers were off and since I have all of my LED retrofit headlight stuff and a little time on my hands, I decided to to attempt the LED headlight mod myself. The retrofit manual says 3.75 hours...hahaha! I was once an Aircraft Maintenance Tech, so am a little anal about doing it right the first time.

Todays progress:

I started on the left (drivers) side this morning, removed the front wheel, inner fender and Left headlight assembly. Next, I removed the access covers in the engine department, opened up the access to the main fuse panel and to the Footwell module. I began routing the retrofit wiring from the FRM module through the firewall to the left headlight and across to the passenger footwell. The FRM module was removed at this point. After lunch, the left headlight plug was configured and the left headlight was installed according to the instructions. The left fender is now buttoned back up and the wheel is back on, but the day is over and we need to reposition cars.

My X5M is not happy with me at the moment.
I left the FRM module unplugged and my lights obviously do not work, but neither do my windows or my mirror adjustments. There are a slew of error messages because PDC is also disconnected. The truck nearly refuses to be moved... put it in drive and the brakes immediately lock and the transmission goes back into park mode with more error messages. I am finally able to "limp" maneuver the truck into it s new designated spot and there it sets.... One LED headlamp in, no FRM, wires everywhere, no bumpers or side skirts...

Until tomorrow...

Oh... and I finally got around to ordering downpipes from Active Autowerkes yesterday... I will probably put them on immediately.... can't wait to see/fee the difference they will make!

2020 X5M - Tanzanite II
2012 M3 - Alpine White

Last edited by gixxerboy63; 06-25-2015 at 06:42 AM..
Appreciate 0