View Single Post
      05-24-2020, 10:54 AM   #21
argento
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvirgi View Post
any recommendations on a better quality aux cable to use than what comes with the kits?
I've been using SIIG CB-AU0A12-S1, it's inexpensive, you need at least 4ft if going to armrest aux input.

With the addition of DAC, I bumped up to AudioQuest...
https://www.audioquest.com/cables/an...s-falls-series

If using DAC, you only need about 0.6M when you consider Android USB cable, 1M USB Cable Extension, jitterbug, DAC, then aux cable. IF NO EXTENSION, then increase aux cable appropriately

UPDATE ON SOUND:
-I could not get the DAC (Dragonfly RED) to provide good clear sound. Unusable at the moment. It's a pretty decent DAC, but obviously not ideal for this application. The Dragonfly sounds GREAT connected to my PC. I will try another DAC. BTW, the jitterbug filters out a ton of noise, but still not good enough. W/o the jitterbug it's a mess of hiss.
-The sound via the OEM Aux Input is much better than I expected. Prior to install I did clean out my OEM Aux Input with isopropyl and a pipe cleaner. Before this, with my old unit, I would rotate the aux input connector and hear scratching. Now I do not...not sure if it's the new unit or a clean aux input void of minor debris.
-The OEM sound is pretty amazing compared to the Aux Input and I'm unsure if we'll ever match. Much more depth.
-FWIW I did try to plug the android USB directly into vehicle Media USB (next to OEM Aux Input), but the source (android monitor) was not recognized.

SYNCHRONIZE VOLUME
-This assumes CARPLAY is connected (which maxes out phone volume)
-Set Aux Input Volume in iDrive to lowest setting
-Select Radio and set volume.
-Do not adjust volume knob while performing remainder of steps
-You will flip back and forth from vehicle audio to android audio to compare
-Go to Android Monitor with music playing and compare volume.
-Go into Android Monitor settings and increase MEDIA Volume until it either matches the vehicle volume OR maxes out.
-If Maxes out, then go back to iDrive and increase the Aux Input Volume step by step until it matches to your liking. Keeping Aux Input volume as low as you can improves sound.

Last edited by argento; 05-26-2020 at 09:44 AM..
Appreciate 1