View Single Post
      05-16-2020, 09:46 AM   #11
argento
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

I understand. I installed the avin then had to get in there two more times. For me, the hardest parts were removing the radio/climate front face. It's just two screws and it prys out, but you have to give a lot of pry force at the right spot and it shoots out. Lots of sharp edges and you can scratch the knee pad leather or other trim. Next hardest was routing the cable so that when you reinstall the oem piece with the two vents it remains flush and all the way down. It can be done, just needs a little patience. All the connectors you remove are keyed, meaning they are all different and little chance of plugging in the wrong connector. Lastly, make sure everything is plugged in securely or else you'll have to get back in there. I had to do so with the connection to the back of the monitor. Good luck! I think you'll like it.

Oh, I'm wrong, the most effort was routing the aux input to the armrest. I removed the knee panel and the entire shifter assembly (with battery disconnected...just pry the top panel, remove screws, disconnect connectors, lifts out). Routing was then easy, but you then have to remove the aux input plate (pry's off) in the armrest and file some holes in the plate edge to allow the aux input cable to go through. Start with a triangle shaped file, then open it up with a round shaped file. I also had to file holes to allow the carplay dongle cables to run through so that the dongle sat inside the armrest area. It was trial in error, so took me a while. Install the usb extensions (if needed) prior to mounting the monitor in place.

Sorry, TMI, but just in case you need the info.

Last edited by argento; 05-17-2020 at 08:57 AM..
Appreciate 1