View Single Post
      08-03-2013, 07:05 AM   #1
MaX6
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X6 50i

OEM Trailer Hitch Install- Piece of Cake!

just finished up the install.. local BMW dealer had the hitch on sale on eBay for $475.. Installation took around 2.5 hours. Install instructions come with the kit and were well written and easy to follow... The actual hitch install to the vehicle was fairly simple but cumbersome as the rear bumber has to be completely removed.. The more difficult part was the wiring harness as you have to integrate the harness into the fuse panel.. no wiring splicing- just adding wires to the panel itself.. took some studying of the panel and wiring to ensure I had it correct...

Trailer lights work fine and parking assist seems to deactivate upon instal however I have read there are additional features that can be activated via coding of the car.. not sure what those are exactly and am researching... I believe one is a downward facing camera option to assist in backing up vehicle to trailer...

The only odd thing I encountered is on the non-M X6 the lower bumper gaurd does not have a hitch cut-out.. If you see a pic of the M bumper you'll see that cutout... The cutout snap fits into the bumper.. easy and simple to add a hitch to the M... not sure why BMW only assumed M owners would be boat and jet ski owners?? WTF BMW?? anyway the instructions have you cutting that lower bumper panel.. they give you a template that sticks to the bumper and you are supposed to then cut around the template.. I used a small handsaw (bandsaw or scroll saw would be perfect for this but I had neither).. Took all of 5 minutes to cut but could not help thinking to myself the whole time how BMW has me sawing my bumper... how the #%^& they did not have the car "hitch ready" from the factory is bizarre.. nonetheless this step only took 5 minutes...

Just wanted to share my experience should any of you be interested in adding a hitch.... fyi my dealer wanted $1,500 to install (included the hitch itself)... I did it for $500..

Rob
Appreciate 0