04-26-2016, 10:59 PM   #44
jbrskissummitcolo
Driver of German cars (and motorcycles)
Rep
Drives: 435 XDrive Mineral Grey

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by B///MWGuy View Post
We can't sell them cars to dealers (and of course we shouldn't to sell privately with possibly a huge loss since buyers should know these are under recall) and can't get BMW to fix it...

Am I the only one really frustrated by this "trap" that we're in? Has anyone received any sort of remedy?
Imagine being on the other side of this.
I've been looking at getting a newer car to replace my old Jeep GC and want a E70 X5 35D
My current 435 has had enough issues that I don't want to buy anything other than a CPO car.

If my wife's GC craps out my option is buy from a dealer other than BMW and get a car with open recall (and it won't be CPO) - Carmax has been dinged for not telling people about recalls so I think they do now, but as an independent company with no obligation to BMW they have no problem buying and selling used cars with open recalls.
I might be able to find a CPO car from a private individual

Has anyone actually determined that the value of a car with an open recall is less at any dealership?
My guess is that it really didn't make a difference. Non BMW dealers don't care because the car can't be fixed by them so they just sell it like any other car (maybe they disclose the fact that it will get a new airbag like several million other cars out there)
BMW dealers are the only ones who are restricted from selling a BMW with an airbag recall - if you don't get the same trade in offer from them as you would from the Audi or MB dealership down the road they stand to loose your business so they'll be smart to offer you the same as they would if it wasn't a recall.

Test the market and see if your car is worth any less than you would have expected. I haven't seen any big change in the price I would expect to pay for one and I have kind of been paying attention for more than 6 months.

If you want to sell yours to a private individual the right thing to do is to disclose the open recall (on yours and every other E70 the buyer is looking at). Since you have no way to fix it yours is the same as every other E70 and you won't be at any disadvantage (don't let the buyer try to make it his advantage, if he wants an X5 he should know it's true or be told it's true with all of them)

The thing that sucks for me is that there are basically no CPO cars available and it isn't clear if BMW will modify there existing CPO policies so that some of the cars that are currently aging in the back lots will be able to become CPO. My other worry is what are the potential issues to be brought about by having my next car spend 6 to 9 months parked.
All those lease returns are owned by BMW so the dealers holding onto them for BMW have very little reason to do anything special - if something gums up while it is sitting there, it is just more service work for the dealer that will be paid for by BMW corporate.
Appreciate 0