08-22-2021, 07:05 PM   #10
Frostynorth
Weirdo
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
Thanks for the tips! Yeah, everyone mentions how quiet they are but honestly have you ever sat there and thought "Damn, my forced air system is loud?" yeah, me neither.

I wouldnt say I want a forced air system. I want a reliable, efficient, and effective system. What form that takes I'm totally open to. I've yet to be convinced that a ductless mini split can outperform a properly designed and installed forced air system. But again, i'm totally open to being convinced otherwise.
Maybe not loud, but I certainly hear it turn on, and the air noise.

Because ductless systems are all variable speed, they're more efficient as they only use what's needed to achieve the desired temperature, where a traditional forced air system runs at maximum.

The hidden models are nice, but if not installed somewhere accessible on all sides, they are a giant pain to service. You could easily have a two or three head system and keep 2-3 areas of the house cool/warm as needed. I would say these are on par with the noise level of a regular forced air.

It would save money on electricity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
So what's the benefit of the ducted ductless? Seems like you are locating all the guts outside the house at that point, so bonus points for easy maintenance I guess? You are investing in the duct system which seems to be the claim to fame that the ductless system avoids. So at that point, why not just run a conventional system?
They are installed in a ceiling space 'hidden' away.

It's all efficiency, overnight your great room doesn't need to be kept the same temp as the bedrooms, the basement doesn't either. During the day the bedrooms can stay warmer.
Appreciate 2
vreihen1615277.00
DETRoadster11462.50