View Single Post
      08-22-2021, 01:22 PM   #1
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Ductless Mini Split vs Conventional Furnace / AC

As some of you know, I'm in the process of having a house designed and built (Approx. 1800 to 2000 sqft). Our architect is really pushing the whole space-age technology of a ductless mini split HVAC system. I understand how they work and for a retrofit in an existing home can see the benefit. I'm just not sold on their value in new construction over a well-designed ducted system.

- I hate the look of the air handlers but understand there are some that can be built into the wall or ceiling.

- They seem complex (ie, maintenance and repair issues down the road). All the expansion valves, plumbing refrigerant all over the house under pressure, lots of filters that need cleaning/replacing.

- Still not convinced that just 4 or 5 air handlers can adequately heat/cool all the rooms. Especially because we tend to close doors to rooms we arent actively using to keep the dogs out.

- Electricity in the PNW is cheap, but so is natural gas. Not seeing a real cost benefit.

Anyone with experience with one of these systems in new construction who can comment and convince me it's better than a high efficiency ducted furnace and AC system?
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615268.00