View Single Post
      06-25-2017, 07:36 AM   #32
JoeyBimX5din
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMX X5 Xdrive50i

Cut Muffler

I removed the rear muffler. I was going to build a temporary tailpipe with the stock muffler turn outs tips just to give a trial run of the muffler being off.

The stock size exhaust looks to be 2.75", so it may actually be somewhere around 70mm, or 69mm. Local auto parts do not seem to have anything in that size. With my location, I had an abundance of 2.5", 3", and 4" (diesel trucks). I just hope since its USDM built truck, it is not metric. 2.75" seems like it will mesh up. I am going to order some parts to get it finished all the way out of the rear, for now its just dumped behind the differential.

This is a trial period to see if my wife , and I, are ok with the noise level of the truck without the muffler. If I don't like it I will move up my time table on the catless DP's, get those, and get a shop to pop some mufflers (dynomax or magnaflow) out in there rear.

It has a sound more like a pushrod motor, and in higher boost levels, it actually seems to quiet up. If anyone has ever had an american 'sport' car with a catback (think SLP loudmouths on a camaro or firebird) the sound level is very similar. If anyone wants a catback sound bordering on the noisey level, this is the way to go. If you have hesitations on noise level for a catback, this is a poor choice, but I like it. I have certainly had significantly louder DD's.

1995 BMW 540i6 - H&R Lowering Springs, Bilstein's, Racing Dynamics Bars, Catback, Short shifter
Appreciate 0