View Single Post
      07-23-2017, 01:23 PM   #64
jandref321
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyBimX5din View Post
that is entertainingly offensive to nurses. Substitute students in med school for nurses and your statement is correct.

Most shops will have a mix. Nothing as drastic as 2 legit mechanics and a bunch of new guys thumbing through workshop manuals(I hope). 9 times out of 10, unless I have done the job a few times, I will reference a manual. I am a current ASE Truck master, I was a Navistar truck master in 2014, I was a Ford Sr Diesel Master in 2007, so I can usually handle most things.
I didn't mean to offend anyone; perhaps it's my lack of life experience and some confirmation bias in both cases.

Nurse always brings me in, gets my vitals, tells me to wait for the doc. When the doc leaves the nurse comes back in, types stuff up, gets me the prescription, sends me on my way. Same experience in the ER, but that could be me mistaking med students for nurses.

I went to get an alignment after lowering my car in GA and the SA said they couldn't get the car in spec. The "mechanic" came out to speak with me and give me the alignment sheet. Only one adjustment had been made on the whole car. I asked why and to show me why. He said I'd have to speak with the actual shop mechanic. They took me in the back and the "shop mechanic" showed me how corroded everything was (northern car) and said he will get the SA to find out how much to replace all the control arms. I said no, I'll get it done elsewhere. I went to leave and another "mechanic" came out to BS with me about my M3 and everything I'd done to it. He was young and I asked how long he'd been a mechanic. He said that he used to be a car porter there and just recently began training to be a mechanic. He said his uncle was the only certified BMW mechanic at the dealership and everyone else was either a general certified mechanic or just a normal guy trying to learn. I took the car to a Porsche Indy 5 min down the road and had the car aligned properly within an hour. Live and learn.

The second time was in FLA when my fuel pump went out. The SA took me into the back to speak with the "mechanic" and that guy told me he had just started disassembling it (The car was up on a lift, IDK why, the fuel pump was under the rear seat) and he would get the "head mechanic" to test the pump when he comes around. I made the assumption that the "mechanic" I was speaking to wasn't a mechanic at all.

Perhaps in both cases the people I was speaking with didn't have complete knowledge and they were only referring to normal BMW mechanics vs "Master BMW Mechanics." It definitely is stupid to think that BMW Mechanics don't need to use a manual. You can't know every car and the torque of every bolt. I did, however, lose some confidence in dealers.

2020 G01 X3 30e CURRENT M Sport Package
2019 Ford Raptor SuperCrew CURRENT 802A, KN Drop-in, RB Flaps, Husky Well Liners
2012 E70 X5M SOLD Stg 1+ Turbos, DPs, Velos Stg 2+, JB4, Race Cats, Bavauto Coils
2003 E46 M3 SOLD aFe CAI, AP Axleback, SSK, H&R Springs, TMS CMBR Arms, PF RTABs
Appreciate 1