03-18-2021, 09:27 AM   #174
GTBrandon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' M3 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoBMW View Post
I have read this thread in its entirety a few times as well as other threads on other forums about hitch setups for the E70. I have also read the installation manuals and watched as many videos as I could find, because I too do not want to cut apart my bumper. This is what I have found thus far:

BMW OEM Hitch - very noticeable cut out in the vertical portion of the rear bumper (as seen in multiple pictures in this thread).

Stealth Hitch (once called Execuhitch and Invisihitch) - requires cutting a 3.25" deep x 14.5" wide portion out of the horizontal silver/metallic colored plastic fascia that is located underneath the bumper. I have not seen this in person, however, they claim it's not noticeable since it is underneath.

Curt Hitch - requires cutting a 2.25" deep x 4" wide portion out of the horizontal silver/metallic colored plastic fascia that is located underneath the bumper. Again, same as above, I have not seen this in person, however, it's claimed to be not noticeable since it is underneath.

In my opinion, these are the only 3 options for a hitch for the E70 generation, and all of them require some sort of cutting. Personally, I feel that the cut out for the BMW OEM hitch option looks absolutely horrible, my apologies to those that went this route. That being said I feel there are only 2 real options, even though the cut out in the fascia underneath for the Stealth Hitch is larger and the product is more expensive this is the option I will be going with since the receiver portion can be removed from the hitch cross beam and out of sight unlike the Curt hitch. I keep going back and forth because I did not want to cut the lower fascia, but we need a bike rack, now I just need to pull the trigger and do it.
If you’re only doing this for a bike rack, why not just get the BMW rack that goes into the tow hook hole? Seems like much less effort and cost to accomplish the same goal, and with absolutely 0 cutting. I’ve seen a few used for sale.

https://www.shopbmwusa.com/PRODUCT/917/BMW-REAR-MOUNTED-BICYCLE-CARRIER
Appreciate 0