08-14-2018, 11:05 PM   #12
TKR
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 40e & 2018 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsJustMe View Post
1. I am pretty sure my service advisor thinks I am a dumb girl that he can just tell any mechanical story to and I will just say “ok”. Can anyone tell me if some kind of recall just happened? Is it likely that that the engine was stopped along its shipping path (Germany to US) and rerouted back to Germany? (eyeroll))))) I feel like he just keeps lying to me.
2. Do you think I should call BMW corporate office and complain? Do you think I could get them to give me a 2-year warranty with the engine?
3. I will have to pay a $50 deductible. Isn’t that like paying a portion of the cost?
4. Does anyone have any experience with remanufactured engines? I know they are better than rebuilt. I know that it will be better than the engine I had. I would like to sell this car but I owe more than I can sell it for.

1) Service Advisors always tell stories to customers to keep them satisfied. We never get to know half what is really happening in the shop. Sometimes there are experienced guys working with your car and the service goes as planned, and many times there are trainees (or just bad luck) who screw things up with your car and Service advisors do their best to explain something "reasonable" hoping customer will swallow it.
I would bet the engine was not sent back to Germany. There was either more urgent customer who got it, or it was damaged in shipping etc. They just had to order again, or wait your turn in the delivery.

2) I have also found that BMW North America has policy that IF customer did NOT pay for some part in recall, it is not warrantied unless whole car is under CPO or similar extended warranty. For example parts that are replaced in CCP recall do not have any parts warranty (if the car is older than 4 years or 50k miles and no CPO). There may be exceptions if you happen to have very nice relationship with your dealer and they already have made $.$$$ profit out of your wallet. Then it's just dealer goodwill.
I'm afraid you might be out of warranty with that new engine, unless you buy extension to your CPO or buy third company warranty for your car.

4) All depends how much skill the mechanic has who is installing the new block in your car. They will still use your existing electronics, turbos, AC compressor, steering pump, all coolant lines, and radiators etc. I believe you will get new spark plugs, coils and injectors with that remanufactured engine which is really good thing because they fail in N63 over time.
If everything is put together carefully and all the necessary gaskets and bolts are renewed and torqued properly, it should work perfectly for tens of thousands of miles. But if the mechanic is in hurry or he doesn't care, then the reliability can be whatever...
Appreciate 0