View Single Post
      08-13-2018, 07:18 PM   #1
ItsJustMe
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

BMW CPO is replacing my N63 engine.

Is there a recall on remanufactured N63 engines?

Hi to anyone who reads this. I also apologize in advance for not knowing hardly anything about engines.

I have a 2012 X5 with the N63 engine. I bought it in 2015 as a certified preowned vehicle (47k miles). My CPO ends tomorrow. I now have 62k miles.
My car has been in BMW service for 36 days now. They going to replace my engine with a remanufactured engine. This decision was approved the second day that they had my car. Since then the updates went like this…
Day 2: BMW has approved the new engine and I will order it today.
Day 3: engine ordered should be here in 2 days
Day 8: the engine was “rerouted” and is now coming from Germany. It should be here next week. LOL
Day 20: It is still not here yet. Should be today or tomorrow.
Day 31: Not here yet. I will look into it more
Day 36: You are not going to believe this but there has just been a recall on a part that is inside your engine and all engines have been “rerouted back to Germany”. They still have to investigate and see what the issue is so that it can be fixed. I do not have an ETA for you at this time.

Now for my vehicle history…
2 months after I bought the vehicle I was having hesitation on acceleration, black smoke, black soot and malfunction warnings. It had been in the shop 6 times totaling about 130 days not including this most recent. In the past they have…
1. Charged me a $135 diagnostic fee and did nothing. They said Costco gas could be causing it because their premium gas is bad and that they combine unused gas from many tanks…blah blah blah. He advised me to run the car for 2 weeks with good gas from Chevron. That service advisor is no longer working there. And I was back 2 weeks later.
2. Replaced one injector & decoupling element
3. Replaced 2 injectors & decoupling element
Replaced all spark plugs
4. Replaced cylinder 1 ignition coil and 2 spark plugs
5. Replaced 7 ignition coils
Replaced all spark plugs again
6. (PUMA case was assigned on this one)
To many things to list here but basically, they replace all valve stem seals, all fuel injectors, all spark plugs, and injectors.
My car seamed to drive better but was not perfect. It would hesitate and lurch when I hit the gas. Then…. It started having me add oil….. then it wanted me to add coolant. So, for my next oil change I decided to go to a well-known Indy shop. The owner was so nice and showed me the places under the engine where I had leaks. (Right drivers side mostly) They were not bad leaks… it never dripped on my garage floor. But they were there. The Indy shop owner wrote down everything I needed to tell BMW before my CPO was up. And that is what I did. I have no idea what transpired to get them to replace the engine. But I happy they are. I felt kinda lucky in a way…. Until they told me the new engine will have no warranty since I am not paying for it, I told him id be happy to contribute $1 and he laughed. I didn’t.

So here are my questions….
1. I am pretty sure my service advisor thinks I am a dumb girl that he can just tell any mechanical story to and I will just say “ok”. Can anyone tell me if some kind of recall just happened? Is it likely that that the engine was stopped along its shipping path (Germany to US) and rerouted back to Germany? (eyeroll))))) I feel like he just keeps lying to me.
2. Do you think I should call BMW corporate office and complain? Do you think I could get them to give me a 2-year warranty with the engine?
3. I will have to pay a $50 deductible. Isn’t that like paying a portion of the cost?
4. Does anyone have any experience with remanufactured engines? I know they are better than rebuilt. I know that it will be better than the engine I had. I would like to sell this car but I owe more than I can sell it for.

So in the mean time I do have a really cool loaner that only had 7 miles on it when I got it. It is the X2. I have been enjoying driving it but it is a little small and this is the first car where I actually have to coordinate my clothing with the interior. I guess some people love fluorescent orange.

I am so sorry for the long post. Thank you in advance for all who have read it and any responses.
Appreciate 0