View Single Post
      04-19-2015, 05:20 PM   #1
Mortis
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4 Comp

Tracking the M4: A novice's perspective & some firsts

Hi friends,

I know there have been a few threads with people sharing their experience tracking the M4, including most recently FTS's great post. I don't want to repeat what others have said, but wanted to share my perspective as a novice with a couple of track days under my belt (9 to be exact).

I was at Summit Point Main at the ACNA PCC HPDE between 21-22 March (which by the way is a GREAT club) with my M4. It was notable to me because of a couple of firsts. I won't repeat what FTS wrote in his last post, but it's a great track where you can get some serious speed (I hit 144 mph on the main straight).

Like I have done in the past, I ran with MDM on for most of the first day. But as others have said, it's very constraining, and as I picked up speed, I felt I was struggling against the car. So on the advice of my instructor I switched everything off, and said a silent prayer. I really expected the car to behave like a bucking bronco from what everyone here and the reviewers have said. On the contrary, it held the road like glue and I was thrilled with the feedback -- I could feel the beginning of over/understeer and correct for it immediately and very easily.

That said, I did have a serious oversteer 'moment' on the track, but funnily that was in a previous session with MDM on - I dropped a tire in the mud and nearly lost control. The strange thing is, the flashing light did not come on until after the correction. You can see it in the video clip here:

After a few laps with all the nannies off, I picked up more speed than previously. I have to put it down to really feeling so much more in control and connected with the car than with MDM. I would strongly urge fellow novices to switch all nannies off - it really is the only way to learn. The car is so balanced and has so much power and grip that it was a sheer and utter delight to drive. I really don't understand why most people buy this car and don't track it. It's the only way to really understand what they have under their hands.

My fastest lap was a 1:28.14. Here it is:

Apart from that, I also melted my brake pads (in my elation during my first solo run I forgot about the cool-down lap) and the next day on a drive to NY my front tires basically fell apart.

I guess this is the point where an occasional past-time starts becoming a little serious, and a little more expensive.

Sadly, this is not to be. I am being relocated outside the country for a couple of years, and in a place where I unfortunately cannot drive a car like the M4. So I put it for sale last week, and dropped it off yesterday.

In parting, I wanted to take this occasion to say thanks and give a big shout out to MaynardZed, gthal, CanAutM3, FTS, S54dan and Karrusell for all their posts and great advice.

What an amazing car.

See everyone in a couple of years. All best! Spyros
Attached Images

Last edited by Mortis; 04-19-2015 at 05:34 PM..
Appreciate 2