View Single Post
      11-15-2010, 06:00 PM   #9
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtcage View Post
So I just ordered an X5 with the tech package and smartphone integration. From my understanding, there are three ways to connect an iPhone 4:
  1. Bluetooth
  2. iPod USB connection
  3. Smartphone Integration

I am also aware of the new Mobile Office features with the 2011s and have seen conflicting information about iPhone 4 compatibility.

Can anyone explain the current and expected compatibility (via firmware updates) of the iPhone 4 with the 2011 cars and which of the 3 connections will be utilized?
For iPhone 4 and 2011 MY

1. Bluetooth is used in two ways:

a) Standard bluetooth profile to allow iPhone voice calls, signal strength, phone book transfer, missed calls, etc to work via iDrive
b) A2DP bluetooth profile to allow audio stored on the phone to be "streamed" to iDrive. Some control is also possible .. next track, previous track.

2. iPod USB connection

Hard wired connection between iPhone and BMW for audio playback. Now only requires single standard USB to iPhone connector. Also now shows art work if embedded into AAC or Mp3. Charges iPhone. Not used at all for Phone voice features.

3. Smartphone Connection

Similar to 2. However iPhone 4 snaps into a cradle that currently does not exist. (suppose to be coming soon). Will also provide a link to the cars external cellphone antenna (sharkfin) on roof for improved handset signal reception.

4. Mobile Office features

Not supported with iPhone 4.

5. BMW Car Hotspot

Provides Wifi connection to any devices inside the car. BMW after market Accessory that plugs into the cars existing phone cradle

Can be used in two ways. Either plug your phone's SIM card directly into accessory, or use a Phone that supports SAP. Phone will then interface to Car Hotspot via bluetooth.

Iphone 4 currently does not support SAP.

Note, iPhone 4 can connect to multiple devices via bluetooth at the same time. So in theory, one day it could connect to your car 3 ways. 1. For regular audio calls. 2. For A2DP music Streaming. 3. For a SAP connection.
Appreciate 0