View Single Post
      03-04-2017, 06:03 PM   #1
jandref321
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

X5M Turbo Blankets

Hey guys,

I was looking for a cheaper alternative to the PTP blanket and wanted to try individual ones. Found thermal zero's T25 blankets that I thought might fit so I ordered a pair. I changed my spark plugs today and wanted to test fit a blanket. They kind of fit...it took patience and time to actually get one on a turbo since there is very little space. My only concern is the wastegate actuator which may get some resistance from the blanket; is that super bad? I can still move the actuator arm with my middle finger but difficult with my index finger. The blanket appears to pinch a bit on either side.

I would need to pull the downpipes to secure them properly as there is no room otherwise. I have some catless DPs in the mail so I figured it was worth holding onto both blankets until I install those and give it a whirl. You can't return the blankets after test fitting, there is a seal on the bag. So I already have sunk cost in one of them...if it fails I guess I'll sell it on craigslist and return the other one. What are your thoughts?

Here is the blanket on one of the turbos:

This picture shows the blanket pressing on the adjacent waste gate arm:

2020 G01 X3 30e CURRENT M Sport Package
2019 Ford Raptor SuperCrew CURRENT 802A, KN Drop-in, RB Flaps, Husky Well Liners
2012 E70 X5M SOLD Stg 1+ Turbos, DPs, Velos Stg 2+, JB4, Race Cats, Bavauto Coils
2003 E46 M3 SOLD aFe CAI, AP Axleback, SSK, H&R Springs, TMS CMBR Arms, PF RTABs
Appreciate 0