View Single Post
      11-11-2019, 08:37 PM   #2
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by och View Post
Is this normal? I've owned the car since new, and its been meticulously cared for, serviced only at the dealership, all the recall work has been performed.

My daughter has been driving the car for a few years, and as of late she's having to add a quart every 500 miles or so. I know these engines are notorious for burning oil, but this seems excessive.
I have the same X5. With only 50K on the clock that is a bit premature for that level of oil burning. If it is driven in alot of stop-and-go traffic that can greatly accelerate the wear.

Three main Culprits here in order of what you should replace first: CCV Tubes, Your Valve guide seals, and your Turbo Oil return lines.

Ask your service rep to perform the oil burn test, I believe with your low of miles they will cover all the repairs under BMW extended warranty (not 100% sure on that so dont quote me but worth looking into ). If for some reason they wont, follow the directions below:

Start off with replacing all of your Crank Case Ventilation lines. If still excessive oil burning then next up is having your valve guide seals replaced. Parts are cheap (less then 200, Labor will kill you, around 3000+).

Turbo oil return lines can get blocked too in these engines, however this normally burns even more oil at a quart every 100 miles or so but I recommend having them replaced also when doing the valve guide seals since everything will be torn down anyway.
Appreciate 0