Myaddiction
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X6M

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by m5james View Post
I don't know who your "standard" stage 2 tune was from, so feel free to mention them.
Not sure if you're messing with me at this point. You responded right above that post after I mentioned it was the AA tune twice.

Quote:
This still begs the question...was AA's tune the same canned tune for anyone vs being custom tuned for those turbos?
Quote:
I've read about how these tunes ALL started out as simple tune(s) after BR Consulting cracked the encryption. After each vendor gets their hands on it, who knows for certain. It's been my assumption that they buy the tune/crack, tweak it even just a little bit so they can say it's their own and then charge whatever they think their name and/or diehard followers will pay. When I'd first bought my ESS tune, they offered three different levels of their stage 2, but I never actually installed the tune since Halim from HC Performance reached out to me about trying his tune. Halim, who was new to tuning at the time, made an arrangement where I paid half up front and in exchange he'd send me PC software for reading & flashing and the cord needed, I send him a copy of my stock flash and later he'd sent me a tweaked version of said flash. The remainder of our arrangement was that if I hit his agreed upon improvement of at least 80hp on a dyno, I pay the remainder...that was over a year ago.
Yep, it's all a BR tune. Some of the Vendors have done insignificant tweaks to legally claim it as theirs. Nothing besides minor stuff that often gets washed out by the compensation tables. Ask them to make actual changes to the tune based on logged data and the tap dancing starts.

Quote:
Long story short, but I've kind of hit a wall with adjusting the JB4 for the S63 since it simply lacks the support that their bread and butter platforms (N54, N55, etc) would get. Terry created a firmware change to the JB4 after myself and others needed a few tweaks, but for me, it's gotten to the point where Terry and Steve said I'll need to reach out to my tuner before we can go further. My next mods will be meth, M5 headers and TLOA stage 2 turbos. My tuner said that in order to run the headers, he'll have to create yet another tune and said that it'll ultimately make the JB4 unnecessary for me anymore. I'll still be keeping it for meth control, gauge monitoring and logs and for map 4 safety precautions. Unless you know something my tuner doesn't, I'm inclined to believe that the statement of "all tunes are the same" isn't true...unless buying from bigger names who only wanna make a quick buck and walk away.

That's pretty much been disproven already in that a stock flashed truck with JB4 only was run on map 6 @ 20psi across the board and ran an 11.7 quarter mile. I've never seen my flashed tune go over 15psi. The stock flash 17.4psi is a pressure that is reached when conditions require it, ie higher elevations, high ambient air temps, etc...17.4 psi isn't a daily run number. There's a Top Gear episode where they had an F10 M5 and explained how this worked when they were in Australia and it was like 120* there during testing.

LOL...I'm going to have to politely disagree with your disagreement. As mentioned above, my flash only tune (JB4 on map 0) reaches at most 15psi @ sea level. JB4 on map 1 (adds 4psi to whatever the stock/tuned flash is) and I hit 19psi like clockwork. Map 6 I'm currently logging at 21psi from 2500rpm to redline to see how the truck handles it. I've had to since run 2 step colder plugs with tigher gaps to stop misfires, do some tweaking to the fuel pressure on the HPFP to stop maxing out trims, but I can tell you with 100% certainty that the truck is a monster and stacked is anything but a waste of money. No offense to my tuner, but going to map 0 (stock or flash tune only, depends on whatever that person has in their vehicle) now feels like I'm towing a trailer, but map 1 or 6 and it's a COMPLETELY different vehicle.
I'm glad you're getting results. I'm not selling parts, simply stating the data I have. At sea level in San Diego @70F mine hits 17.4 on the stock tune and the AA stage 2 tune hits 21 with timing corrections on the top end even with E30. Same as before the Stage 1 upgrade.

Would like to see your JB4 logs to see what timing is doing for you at that boost level.

I'm sure if you put the time and money into it there are gains to be had. I just don't see it with this platform. On my GTR it was 4K in parts and I was in the 10's. This platform is cheap to buy now and a fun DD at the DP and tune level. After that you're blazing the path. I hope it works out for you.
Appreciate 0