Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5

Garage List
2016 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexFL View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmack123 View Post
You do realize the label "M" is arbitrary correct? Or can you give me the exact performance specs etc that constitute a "true" M? They label the SUVs with the M badge because relative to their competition (including the other non-M SUVs in their lineup), they are geared toward higher levels of performance. In other words, relative to their competition, they are designed to outperform their class in the same way the sedans are. I guess we will agree to disagree here.
Apparently all the “purists” and “enthusiasts” here want a lightweight rear wheel drive M station wagon with a manual gear box.
Apparently. I get nostalgia and all, but the current gen X5M, X6M etc would outperform the M sedans from the 80s and 90s in almost every conceivable way so the idea that they aren't "true" M cars is really not founded in reality. Honestly, it reminds me of how people get upset that BMW puts M's on M-Sport models - they are afraid their "exclusive" club is going to be tarnished by outsiders. Assess the vehicles objectively for what they are. There is zero doubt that even by sedan measures, the X*M's are impressive performance vehicles. At the end of the day its a semantic argument.
Appreciate 2
AlexFL7838.00
530iDriver1707.50