01-11-2019, 03:45 PM   #22
babaikram
M6GCComp, Porsche Cayman S PDK, Peug 208 GT1 BPS
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
it's the only way they can appear to be on the same page/in the same ballpark of 100K performance model vehicles along with Mercedes in their print.

BMW M (all) : 102,780 units (+27.2% from 2017) Less- (19,670) X3m40 units = 83,110

Conveniently.. nothing at BMW ever is a true tradition any more.

Historically... Models like Mtechnic and M performance have been indicated to be " enhanced by BMW M... but not considered M cars " I believe that BMW has recently changed their stance on the M car lineup to include M performance.

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1553566

note that it appears that " M performance" models are considered to be part of the M lineup..

M sport however.. does not count.
What I am saying exactly. If the manufacturer considers them to be part of the M lineup, they are. If you have any problems go and argue with BMW. BMW include m850i in their adverts for M town

I recognise there are different levels of 'M' cars which enthusiasts here are not ready to accept

All M performance cars have their engines modified and tuned by M division as well as their suspensions.

As posted by a knowledgeable forum member in a similar thread:

'The first M car based on a production vehicle was the E12 M535i; the engine was the same engine found in the E23 7 Series and E24 6 Series. M modifications were mostly confined to the suspension, although the front brake rotors were 3mm thicker. The interior had Recaro seats and a Motorsport wheel. The exterior had a front airdam, rear lip spoiler, cross-spoke BBS wheels and Motorsport striping. No bespoke engine or body panels. It was definitely not a "real" M car by today's standards'.

Those guys that bought the 'M' cars just for the badge and exclusivity; and not the performance would be sorely disappointed by the current nomenclature. I am sorry for your hurt pride. Please blame BMW not me.

Last edited by babaikram; 01-11-2019 at 03:53 PM..
Appreciate 1