View Single Post
      12-06-2019, 09:40 AM   #133
argento
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOHICA230 View Post
Sup, nice ride there. I am new to this X5 M. I recently bought a 2012 with 60k miles. I want to do that Android Screen swap. How did that work for you? Were you able to continue using the steering wheel controls and center knob? In your honest opinion, was it worth the money? Thanks ahead of time. Great looking ride.
Hey, thanks! You should post a pic of your ride...

There is a very long Android Monitor thread you can get tons of opinions, even mine, when I first installed. But I can tell you now, after 2 years, it's worth it from an aesthetic perspective. I'm iOS user, so I don't get the full Android experience. Below is my latest assessment. If experts out there can help with my CONS below, I'd appreciate it...I stopped reading the android thread a while back...

PROS
-I added CARPLAY, which allows me to use WAZE on long trips
-With a few exceptions, I can just use OEM functions with a larger screen
-I was able to finally sync the OEM volume to the Android Monitor volume (so that upon switching volume isn't too low or high)
-While on WAZE I can listen to SiriusXM, however I won't hear the WAZE notifications (for these notifications I can only listen to music via my phone)

CONS
-Sound using Aux Input is a tangible reduction in sound quality. I purchased a pricey aux cable and sound improved a bit to tolerable, but I it bothers me to listen to music knowing I can have better quality sound going through OEM.
-I lose the OEM NAV button. Pressing NAV sends me to the Android Map or if I have CARPLAY connected to the WAZE app. The latter not being a bad option. But you have to use the menu's to get to the OEM NAV map.
-I lose the OEM VOICE button on steering wheel. Pressing the VOICE button on the steering wheel takes me to CARPLAY...which is fine if I'm connected to CARPLAY, otherwise it's a dead end. Why am I not connected to CARPLAY??...
-When on CARPLAY I have not mastered incoming calls. If I'm on CARPLAY, I believe I have to disconnect my phone's BT from OEM BT. OK. But the calls have static and I don't seem to always be clear to the caller on the other end. So I drop off, turn on BT and get back on the very clear sounding OEM phone function.
-Support is non-existent after your first few emails to them.

Despite all the CONS I like the system as a whole and mostly use the OEM functions. If there were another system out there that fixed my CONS and kept the PROS and was under $500, I'd buy it.

Also, if you decide to install, I routed the USB cables down the driver side center console. You can get inside the center console (aux input, etc) from there (have to remove a couple other items, pretty easy). One screw and a couple clips to remove the carpet trim and you have access.