View Single Post
      10-24-2018, 02:50 PM   #4
DreadX6M
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 X6M

Affordable Routine Maintenance??

Hi,

I'm new to this forum, and new to BMW ownership. I fell in love with my X6M, and realize that maintenance will probably be a little different than my Jeep Grand Cherokee. Ha.

That said, the dealership's quotes are astoundingly high, and when I price things like brake pads that I can do elsewhere, again I can save around 50% of the cost. . .on some things. Here is a short list of questions I'd love answers to if anyone would care to share:

1--Can I safely have brakes done elsewhere, if they know how to install the sensor and use BMW approved pads (ceramic)? ($400 front and rear instead of $1000 at dealership)

2--How complex is it to change a battery? Dealership quoted me $400+???. Also, how do I know when to change? My computer is telling me "Increased Battery Discharge" if my car sits for a couple days without driving. Then it's fine, no problem starting right up. Cold weather coming though. . .

3--Dealership quotes me to have repairs done when I still have time. . .how do I know how long I can wait (Car is at 55k miles)? (Spark plugs $700, microfilter $170, front sway-bar links $350, intake silencer $170)

End of the day, I love this car, it's the most fun I've ever had in an SUV, but I'd like to figure out a way to still be "smart" about the maintenance. Right now, it feels like the dealership just expects people who own these vehicles to fork out the $$$ without question because. . .they can afford to? Affording it is one thing, being smart about it is another.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can share helpful advice/insight!!
Appreciate 0