View Single Post
      06-06-2020, 04:20 PM   #15
Spyro235
Captain
Rep
Drives: '10 X5D, '04 330i ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by askjeeves View Post
What's the big deal with it pulsing the trailer brakes with the hazards on? People shouldn't be driving with the hazards on anyway(granted it happens a lot in Miami when raining). I am curious what the situation was for you for this to be an issue.
Not hazards, but turn signals while braking specifically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecastle View Post
I've never even heard of that. Someone must have wired 7 pin connector wrong if your having that happen. apparently its a wiring issue in your vehicle, but that is not normal at all. https://www.etrailer.com/question-27...0the%20vehicle.

None of my vehicles using the Teknosha brake controller have any brake pulsing when using the turn signals or hazard lights. The brakes on the trailer work normally. The controller can hold them at full lock if desired. I'm guessing someone must have tapped the brake light/turn signal wire on your vehicles instead of the correct wire.

On the 7 pin the brakes are a separate line from the turn signals/brake lights.
I wired mine myself, following BMW's TIS for it. I have since had a bmw tech verify it when I was having wireless tekonsha problems. In addition, it's professionally coded, and then checked again by myself, and it works with all other trailers. The pulsing is something documented as occurring on many vehicles, though I had never seen that specific etrailer question you linked. Weird, but It's wired in as if oem, so I'm not sure the issue. I have 0 issues with my hardwired brake controller, and I trust is much more than the wireless one for long hauls. I have 0 issues with my 7 pin except when I was trying to use the wireless controller, so I moved on from it. Having thousands of pounds behind me just isn't the time to have untrustworthy brakes.

Also, weird that you say your f450 is bouncy. From driving DOT inspection e350 bucket truck vans for a while, I know how much those bucket assemblies weigh. I wonder if the suspension is set up properly for that constant weight. I've been in civilian spec f450's that have been very smooth tow rigs with 10-15k lbs behind them.