04-02-2016, 03:28 PM   #7
Dalko43
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Toyota 4Runner Trail

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blipit_ View Post
Short answer...engine homolagation rules.

They had no plans to start a engine program based on the S55.
I guess I need to read up on the homolagation rules. Their previous Z4 used a V8 derived from the S65, even though the S65 was never placed in the Z4 on the consumer side (at least not in mass production).

Still, it's kind of disappointing. The M6 traditionally never had a racing heritage whereas the M3 did. It would be much more awesome to see a M3/M4 racing in IMSA than the M6. Maybe the M6 has a slightly more optimal wheel base, but I got to believe that the M4 would be a better handling car overall just based on size alone, right? I mean the reason most car enthusiasts watch sports car racing is because they want to see their favorite street cars performing on the track. Corvette owners watch the C7R (which I honestly think is one the best looking cars out there), Porsche owners watch the 911, ect....how many M6 owners are really going to care about the M6 racing in IMSA? Not that it doesn't look cool, but the M4 is the enthusiast's car in the M lineup....it should be the one racing in IMSA.