07-12-2019, 04:11 PM   #45
JamesGames
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 550i|F82 M4|F48 X1|VA STi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
I grew up in Connecticut where one of the first highways was built (Merritt Parkway). There were laws (as there probably still are) requiring drivers to move to the right after passing and there were minimum speed laws as well. State troopers actually enforced them.

Of course, all was not good. Connecticut was also the first state to use unmarked police cruisers to catch speeders.

I was listening to a Talking Cars (consumer reports) podcast and they discussed left lane hogs and some efforts in some states to control it.

Middle lane hogs are also very common; not as bad as left lane hogs but it is usually an older Buick driver who doesn't want to deal with cars driving fast (left lane) or turning (right lane) so he cruises slowly in the middle lane. Combine the left lane hog with the middle lane hog and you have one unnecessary traffic jam.
There most certainly are laws that govern this, just rarely enforced I suppose since this is a daily occurence. I've gotten tickets for 10+ over but going 10 under in the fast lane, is no safer than 10+ over IMO. It causes traffic to constantly pass on the right, hitting brakes, accelerating, etc. Blocking left lane requires passing to occur only on the right, and that's known to be less safe. Here is my state (CA) code:
ARTICLE 1. Driving on Right Side [21650 - 21664] ( Article 1 enacted by Stats. 1959, Ch. 3. )

(a) Notwithstanding the prima facie speed limits, any vehicle proceeding upon a highway at a speed less than the normal speed of traffic moving in the same direction at such time shall be driven in the right-hand lane for traffic or as close as practicable to the right-hand edge or curb, except when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction or when preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.
(b) If a vehicle is being driven at a speed less than the normal speed of traffic moving in the same direction at such time, and is not being driven in the right-hand lane for traffic or as close as practicable to the right-hand edge or curb, it shall constitute prima facie evidence that the driver is operating the vehicle in violation of subdivision (a) of this section.
(c) The Department of Transportation, with respect to state highways, and local authorities, with respect to highways under their jurisdiction, may place and maintain upon highways official signs directing slow-moving traffic to use the right-hand traffic lane except when overtaking and passing another vehicle or preparing for a left turn.
Appreciate 0