07-12-2019, 11:09 AM   #44
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGames View Post
Here in the USA I feel we just have selfish drivers or extremely unaware drivers. One common example is driving slow in the fast lane - dude, get out of that lane and stop holding up traffic. In europe, whether I was in France, Italy, Switzerland, Germany, that fast lane car going slow 9/10 times would move over as soon as a car was flying up behind. If you didn't move over, everyone would tailgate your ass, riding it until you did, even police. Over here? You can have 5 cars right on someone's rear bumper and that driver would still continue living his best life doing a SOLID 60 in a 65mph traffic free zone.
I grew up in Connecticut where one of the first highways was built (Merritt Parkway). There were laws (as there probably still are) requiring drivers to move to the right after passing and there were minimum speed laws as well. State troopers actually enforced them.

Of course, all was not good. Connecticut was also the first state to use unmarked police cruisers to catch speeders.

I was listening to a Talking Cars (consumer reports) podcast and they discussed left lane hogs and some efforts in some states to control it.

Middle lane hogs are also very common; not as bad as left lane hogs but it is usually an older Buick driver who doesn't want to deal with cars driving fast (left lane) or turning (right lane) so he cruises slowly in the middle lane. Combine the left lane hog with the middle lane hog and you have one unnecessary traffic jam.
Appreciate 0