View Single Post
      07-12-2019, 09:33 AM   #635
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by F82PRETEND View Post
What BMW needs to do is go back and read the R&T article from 2016 that compared the 228 to the 235 and M2 and then put the 300hp 35i 4 banger in the 2 series and call it a 230is. Limit production, drop the weight, manual transmission, RWD, loaded up with leftover M performance parts bits as standard. That would sell.
That name isn't consistent with their current branding, so more than likely it would simply be called an M235i. But, that detail aside (and really, who cares what it's called, right?), I agree with you that that would make for a fun car.

But it won't happen since the F22 and F23 are inside their final two years of production, and there is currently only a B48A20T1 (transverse), no B48B20T1 (longitudinal).

However, the car you describe could still appear as a next generation G42 product. In fact, there was an indication that there might be no B58-powered G42 at all, which would mean that a 300hp+ B48 model would be the only one available (in the US). It's not clear at this point whether this will happen or not. It is very likely that a significantly-higher-output longitudinal B48 will arrive sometime in the next three years or so though, which would mean they have all the pieces of the puzzle.
Appreciate 0