Thread: Tow Hitch
View Single Post
      06-03-2019, 05:04 PM   #158
Y13LD
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E70 X5M, 997.2, Ghibli

Jumping into the convo to double check some stale info;
I'm looking to install a hitch on my E70 X5M, between OEM and Stealth Hitch. Execuhitch.com has two dead phone numbers so i'm not sure they are still doing business.

My question is around the costs of installation/programming. BMW quoted me $700 for the OEM hitch and then $800 for the labor. I see that the OEM hitch is $400 on ESC & Turner. I'd never go to the dealer for work but they said that only they can do the programming. The cost of programming alone at the dealer is $250.

I'd love to do OEM but then do I still have to go back to the dealer for programming? I'd hate to have to organize buying a hitch, setting up shipping, taking it to an indy shop for installation, and then taking it back to the dealer for programming. Seems like way too much work for a tow hitch.

To make matters even more confusing the official BMW NA installation guide for the OEM kit is 2.5 hours, WITH programming.

Not really sure what the best play is here. (Part numbers 71602156525 and 71602185556 for the trim if I go OEM). Need to tow a 22' Cobalt
Appreciate 0