Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zing View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCThreePedals View Post
Two subwoofers, everyone in the industry uses the ".1" or ".2" as how many subs are in the system so a 5.1 is 5 main channels plus a sub and so forth.
This is all kinds of incorrect. A person could have 8 subwoofers connected but if they're all being fed the same LFE signal, the system doesn't magically become 5.8. That was my earlier point. The numbers are derived from the amount of discrete channels carrying independent audio signals and not the number of speakers.

Let's try this. You have one center channel speaker. Why? Because there's only one center channel. Let's say you split the signal and install a second center channel speaker. Is your system now 6.1? No, it's not. It's still 5.1. Why? Because there is only one center channel and both center speakers are reproducing the exact same signal.

The .1 doesn't change, regardless of how many subwoofers you have, until each of the subwoofers are being fed something different that the others are not.
I understand what you're getting at, but you're not using the correct industry-standard terminology. Even though there isn't discrete information being sent to multiple subwoofers, the .x number is used to describe the number of locations. As evidence I'd point to legacy Dolby surround systems from 20 years ago that didn't have discrete surround channels, but we still called them 5-channel systems.

To prove my bonafides, this is what I do for a living. Here is the 7.1.4 room we're building at the moment in Montclair NJ... It actually has 4 subwoofers, but it still can rightfully be called a ".1" as they're all acoustically coupled in one location (lined up below the 2.35:1 acoustically-transparent screen).

This happens to be our first room using SONY's bad ass VPL-VW5000ES LASER (rec.2020 capable) 4K projector. The room will cost ~$100k without equipment, but including custom Cinema Tech seating, Owens Corning custom acoustic treatments, and starlight ceiling.
Attached Images