View Single Post
      09-17-2019, 10:31 AM   #103
ucsbwsr
Captain
Rep
Drives: E61

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL18 View Post
That's funny I was think something exactly like that for the intake piping the other day. I'd just love to get rid of all that clutter over the intake manifold and I'm sure it would make for better airflow too.

I was think of actually doing duals like on the x5m intakes systems like you said. Apparently the x5 m50d oversea has a dual intake pipe setup, but I would like to flip it and make something like that with two fat filters in the grille

Hardest part would be that oval piping, then a 3.5" silicone 90, maf sensor, then a 3.5x3.0" reducer.

I don't know how to tig weld so I was thinking of going the carbon fiber route.
I played around with the idea of modding the current inlet pipe to fit the passenger side, N62 intakes and I think the 3.0D from overseas are other possible OEM intakes that could be modified to work for us but the idea of cutting and then plastic welding or taping? the OEM intake back together seems like it would possible offer a rough transition for the air flow and/or look a bit unrefined so I will stick with the pipe and silicone. I think if executed properly it will look clean.

It will be a tight fit to stuff all of those items in the engine bay with such a short run but I think it's possible, it at least seems possible enough for me to try.

As for the OEM dual intake piping, I guess if you wanted maximum filter surface area that is a good way to go but then again if you are that concerned about filtration then sticking filters in the direct line of ram air may not be the best idea.
- EOS Port Injection Manifold, Fuel-It: Stg 2 LPFP +Lines +Ethanol Sensor
- JB4, Hexon RR550s, Custom Inlet, AR DPs, 3" Exhaust, VRSF 7" IC, ER CP +Tial
Appreciate 0