View Single Post
      10-14-2018, 09:10 PM   #3
GearHead335i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i xDrive LCI

“There is NO center differential in xDrive. xDrives have multiplates wet clutche instead. By controlling the clutch, you can transfer the torque to front and/or rear. When the car goes straight, no special effects needed. When you turn, especially sharp turn with low speed, the speed of all 4 wheels are very different and special effect is needed to emulate the missing center differential. By releasing the clutch, torque goes only to rear axle(This is described in the xDrive technical document). If this doesn't work properly, the speed of front axle and rear axle will be the same and at least one wheel will run more than it should, and that makes a small vibration because of the tire slip. This comes from the huge difference in wheel speed of front and rear, it doesn't happen in normal running condition where the wheel speed of 4 wheels are almost same.”

Mine no longer shudders at low speed turning, seems like that has to be present in order for it to be transfer case. Mine is also less visible before car has warmed up, it’s the worst after or in stop and go traffic.
Appreciate 0