View Single Post
      10-14-2018, 02:47 PM   #1
GearHead335i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i xDrive LCI

2012 X5 35i xDrive shudder/vibration/stutter ANY INPUT APPRECIATED

So I recently bought a 2012 X5 35i and I had some chatter when I turned from a stop with the steering at basically full lock. Didn’t think much of it at the time of purchase. Since I bought it about 4 months ago, I have;
- changed plugs
- oil
- wipers
- put some 22” style 612m reps on with 295/30/22 up front on a 22x10 wheel and 335/25/22 in the rear on a 22x11 wheel.
- as well as some other exterior modifications (double slated gloss black kidney, painted the aluminum running boards satin black, and painted the black weather trim in the front/rear/wheel arches).

Since I purchased the vehicle the chatter went from just when I was turning from a start, to really anytime I accelerate. I thought for sure it was the front driveshaft and my vehicle had that recall as well as the passenger side airbag. So I took it into the dealer and picked up the car yesterday and it seems that the chatter from a start when turning from basically full lock is gone but still have the chatter/shudder/vibration feeling when accelerating.

My thoughts are I got the correct tire sizes for the new wheels, the driveshaft is now brand new, and the car seems to be running fine. It is worse on an incline and the worst from a stop/10mph-40mph. No check engine light is on and again the car seems to be running fine other than recently sometimes when I park after driving, I smell oil burning which I believe is the oil filter housing gasket. Not sure if they go bad on these n55’s but my 09 335i e90 lci got pretty bad. I heard something about the knock sensor going bad and other owners experiencing similar symptoms. Also maybe the cv boots need to be re-greased? Transfer case fluid needs to be changed? Splines on driveshaft? Or motor/trans/TC bushings?

I just want some input and a couple of diff things I can do to narrow down what is going on. Any help is much appreciated! Thanks
Appreciate 0