View Single Post
      07-01-2010, 12:50 PM   #7
itsme123
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 MCB F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LANDLORD View Post
BMW would like you to buy the oil from the dealer with the BMW part number.

I have purchased and am quite confident in using Castrol Syntec with the European Formula on the label. Also on the back it will say BMW LONGLIFE-01

The manual shows the following information about Alternative oil grades on page 243:
The packaging must included one of the following indications of oil specifications
Preferred: BMW Longlife-01, BMW Longlife-01 FE
Alternative: BMW Longlife-98, API SM or higher
Viscosity levels approved are 0W-40, 0W-30, 5W-40 and 5W-30

In cold climates use the 0W and in areas where it doesn't get that cold you would want to use the 5W in my opinion. The 40W would be better under very HOT conditions.

Thanks Landlord! I am just so used to using the M specific motor oil on my previous M cars that I am a bit lost with the X6 M when the manual does not say anything specific...lol. I still remember the fiasco of filling E46 M3s with regular oil at dealers in the very beging when they started using the M specific 10w-60 Castro. That's why I am a bit hesitant to trust what the dealers say. Especially when the X6 M is rare and breaks all the rules for late model M cars (no specific oil and no 1200 mile break in oil service).
Appreciate 0