View Single Post
      08-11-2023, 06:22 PM   #167
randall67
Rep
Drives: E70 LCI 4.0D MSPORT

N57 8 speed transmission

I wanted to post this reply as it is the only thread I could find in regard to an N57 engine and 8 speed ZF transmission, if you wish to do a paddle shift conversion. I realize it has been some time since you posted but maybe someone will be looking for the same information. You probably have sorted it out by now anyway, if not I can answer your questions.
You have done everything right the only problem is the vehicle integration level when it left the factory. It seems VIN last 7 numbers beginning with L4 do not have the same integration level as beginning with L7. Why BMW would leave out 2 wires going to the steering wheel is just insane. Will get to that in a minute. Sorry to be so long winded but there is a lot to understand. I cannot stop you from being a crazy bastard for wanting to do this conversion but I can save you a world of pain.
Do not buy anything until you have done the following:
1st thing to do is check if you have the two wires. Easiest way is to remove the plastic covers behind the steering wheel. Check pins 2 and 4 on x1880. 2 should be green/red 4 should be violet it is the ground. If you have the wires check with accessory position you have 5 volt between the pins. If you do not have the wires it does not matter. We now know if you are wired for paddle shifters or not. Put the steering covers back on and continue with your life.
2nd thing is to obtain ISTA/P and ICOM I use VCX SE it is fabulous tool. Up to you. Just need ICOM. It is your choice but you need more than a battery charger you need a maintainer, ISTAP will not work if the battery goes below 13 volt and it will be at least 2 hours of programming. If you do this its 100% guaranteed your paddle shifters will work and no stress. If you do not know how to use ISTAP then it is about time you learnt. Start a new session and let it do its thing until you come to measures plan. Select module tree. Select each module and hide measures plan until only the EGS is left. Select determine measures plan and it will reply a report. In that report you will see it wants to program and code at least 6 modules just to update the EGS. Let it do its thing and be patient, that is why I recommend a battery maintainer. You do not have to worry and can walk away. It will take at least 2 hours. It dings and operates seats, lights,fans all sorts of stuff. After it has done it resets the car and it is perfect. That is all you need to do, you do not need any change in VO, your car is now ready for paddle shifters.
There are many tutorials about using ISTAP. It is not hard to use and I would not use anything else as it is plug and play to your whole car and not just a single module.
Of course some retrofits ISTAP will not like so it cannot be used. In this case you will need to reinstate the car to original and return it after you update the modules.
You might say, why not use WINKFP or Tool32 ? to flash the module, well here is the world of hurt. This may depend on your Datums. Mine are 71. Yours may be lower not sure, just do not take the risk because here is what will happen. EGS(gke195, gke201, gke233 something like that) WINKFP will load the most recent file so it matters not what you choose. Exactly as it is supposed to do and by its logic will wipe the module and then load the file. Unfortunately it will not be able to digitally sign the file because of firmware manufacturers data. You will now have no transmission, the module will be empty and your world of hurt will begin, then you get further into a world of hurt as you get deeper and deeper. WINKFP is great but do not use it in this instance. By the way I use ISTAP ver 69.0.200.
I will leave it at that for now and return latter with the actual directions for install of wires etc. I need a break now.
peace
out
Appreciate 1