View Single Post
      01-22-2023, 10:58 AM   #297
argento
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

I am using ECS Tuning Ti Bolts with my R20mm and F12.5mm spacers.

I had a situation on the right rear one wheel where I couldn't get the last bolt in place. It would go 4-6 threads and stop. I would remove everything and start again, then it worked. One time it took me an hour to get them all on, next time no problem at all to get them all on, this last time I couldn't get one on at all. When this first started I suspected the bolts, but they all checked out and why would they all go on sometime but not others I thought. I then suspected an alignment with my spacers, wheel, rear F85 rotor (no fixing set screw), and hub to explain working once and then not the next time.

I worked out a procedure to try and get everything aligned. Three bolts on rotor to hub only hand tight, then tighten each little by little to ensure conentricity. Apply emergency brake. Remove bolts and add spacer. Add bolts, tighten to center spacer on rotor/hub, make mark between rotor and spacer. Remove bolts and install wheel checking to ensure concentricity all the way.

Still problematic. This last time I still couldn't get one bolt on and determined, by swapping sides, that this time it was indeed the bolt. Ordered another (and spares) and it easily threaded into place.

PROBLEM SOLVED: I've deduced that these bolts can't take repeated high torque pnuematic tool removal. At 140Nm, it takes my tool about 2-3 seconds of pounding to loosen. I have a higher setting on my tool but didn't want to use...not sure if better or worse. Likely this bolt got worse over the past 4-6 removals so when it checked out at the beginning, it then kinda worked intermittently in a specific spot, and by the last removal it was unusable. It doesn't look compromised whatsoever so nothing obvious, but it's toast as I determined by replacing with a new bolt that worked perfectly. Bought some spares.

I will be removing bolts manually going forward. Evantually will return back to OEM-like hardened steel or more expensive Titanium bolts.

Last edited by argento; 12-02-2023 at 09:12 AM..
Appreciate 0