View Single Post
      11-15-2008, 04:27 PM   #11
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrive50i View Post
Honestly, for me, I am glad I am not lugging around a spare tire all the time. Last time I had a tire issue must have been a good 12+ years ago and even then it was a really slow leak and I didn't have to use the spare either. I don't see the point of having a spare if you have run flat tires. Kind of defeats the purpose of run flat tires... Besides, if you do have an issue with the tires, you could also contact BMW road side assistance!
The issue with run flats is simple. BMW tire sizes are not typically stocked locally by anyone except a dealer. You can only drive on a run flat for 50 miles or so before it is ruined. If you get a flat and go to discount tire, if you are luck, they can get a tire in a few days. what do you do in the interim?

I would rather get a flat, pull over and put on the spare and have the run flat repaired then spend $500 on a new tire.

Run flats are nice as you don't have to panic and pull off the free way in a hurry especially at night or in cold weather. But I like the added security of a spare. If you go on a long road trip to the mountains there won't be anyone around with a spare tire. Roadside assistance only tows you within 50-100 miles of a dealer. A lot of issues folks need to think about.