N52UNED
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328i/330BPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSM330i View Post
... ... ...

This close racing is the norm in Indy Car, but the number of accidents isn't anywhere near as high.

I'm thinking it's part of the aero for F1 that is causing the issues. Once Daniel got too close to Max - the aero over his front wing was compromised and he lost a lot of downforce on his front wing. When he hit the brakes, the tires didn't have the grip they should have had and the braking was no where near where it should have been. Hence, he drove into the back of Max.

The new rules should hopefully sort this out. It'd be nice to see quicker cars actually have a chance to pass other cars without all the headaches of loss of aero.

Indy Cars are designed with wheel to wheel racing in mind ... with the new design even more so. F1 cars are designed to be driven with much more spacing between cars ... not only for down-force but overall efficiency of their hybrid engines.

With the high rates of speed and the exorbitant costs of repairs ... I don't see F1 adding any aero changes that would facilitate more wheel to wheel racing. Frankly I think it's more issues with lack of passing areas built into the F1 circuits.

Perhaps F1 should add more time to the DRS spacing ... under 1 second isn't easy to achieve ... even with the top drivers on the top performing teams. That's where Indy Car wins out with the Push To Pass idea, as it gives more of a fighting chance to pass where you normally can't.

Last edited by N52UNED; 05-02-2018 at 06:01 PM..
Appreciate 0