View Single Post
      10-20-2018, 05:02 PM   #1
mrsoandso
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 X6M

'11 X6M inconsistent ticking + undercoating questions

Hello everyone, I just bought an '11 X6M with 95xxx kilometers (55000 miles).

I have a few questions about the X6 M

I've noticed in drive-thrus that there's a slight ticking sound that randomly comes and goes. It seems to be mostly while warming up. If I pop it in neutral and rev it up a bit, it goes away, but comes back upon idle. Sometimes it doesn't do it at all. Any ideas?

Is undercoating necessary on this vehicle? I live in Canada where the roads are salted, and it seems the previous owner never undercoated it and my rear subframe is getting a little rusty.

Also, is launching really rough on the car? The seemingly knowledgeable bmw parts guy said the M's are only good for a few launches (5-10 launch control starts), then first gear will 'start to wear out'. This seems kind of ridiculous to me. It's a torque converter automatic, the only concern I would have is the center diff which is tq vectoring. Sometimes I feel like 1st gear is a little laggy, or takes a second to engage, and I'm getting a little concerned. I do have extended warranty, but coverage to only $5k.

Sorry for all the questions, this is my first M car and I'm quite overwhelmed with the complexity and cost of ownership thus far. Thanks everyone!

Last edited by mrsoandso; 10-20-2018 at 05:45 PM..
Appreciate 0