View Single Post
      06-20-2021, 12:20 PM   #206
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post

DAS had one main benefit, to momentarily adjust the front tyres to toe-in, to add heat evenly to the front tyres during safety car periods and other times when the front tyres had dropped out of the optimum temperature window.
That's another benefit.
But there are so many explanations on DAS on Youtube, also from people that have a 30 year pro racing career in many different classes (both formula and touringcar) and also do 30 years of pitreporting on F1 (thus talking regularly to drivers, engineers and team captains), and if such a person also explains that DAS allows you to set 0deg toe to maximize top speed and how that works...then I tend to believe that person over someone on some forum.
Especially if there are lots of videos about the DAS explanation, virtually all emphasizing this effect.

And like I said, if DAS didn't gave them an edge, it's particualairly strange that MERC couldn't cope with the relative small changes in rules for the 2021 season. The change in rules is minimal compared to other seasons because of COVID. And that is strange for a team that has a history of virtually always having their car competative early in the season.
Lots of budget but not being able to improve like their competition did who copes with the same small rulechanges. Unable to evolve their chassis on the scale that RB did. If the loss of DAS didn't put them in a bad position, it just means they're not as good at their jobs as the people at RB. Loosing to the competition with minimum rule change.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t

Last edited by GuidoK; 06-20-2021 at 12:29 PM..
Appreciate 2