03-12-2018, 02:05 PM   #4
Performancedieselpros
Banned
Rep
Drives: X6 m

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerboy63 View Post
I'm currently running;
Pure stg2 Turbos, RK intakes, Active Autowerkes DPs, Full Akra titanium exhaust and Active Autowerke custom tune...
Active has upgraded my tune several times as I have added upgrades or components.

I am still running stock manifolds... read somewhere that someone had swapped in M5 manifolds and headers, yet reported a loss in power; (M5james would know who this person is)

Last dyno result on 8/15/17 We are planning on another dyno session to dial it in further, but honestly don't expect more than another 50 hp at most with current mods.
685.7hp and 707.9ft-lbs which translates to 596.3hp and 615.6ft-lbs at the wheels.

....So this rabbit hole has cost me somewhere in the neighborhood of $16k in upgraded engine performance parts alone (Most were acquired at somewhere less than retail:my Akra titanium exhaust was actually purchased at 50% off retail!), so based on average 444hp stock to 596hp modified has been roughly $100 per 1 horsepower! Yeah, it's cool to have a fast SUV, but it is STILL 5300lbs that the added horsepower has to overcome to propel this thing down the road! Your money will be better spent on a platform that has more R&D (read; cheaper cost per HP gained) My AA tune only M4 ($1500) will likely bust the X5M's can anywhere it pleases...

Again, It's really cool to have one of the fastest X5Ms around, but if I had it all to do over again, I would have been happy with just a tune (Still very quick and would have saved myself $15k!)
I'm going out on a major limb here and saying I'd bet you'd make better power running a piggy back unit! Jb4 or Racechip GTS black.....

Tunes can be great, but sometimes Tuners can be the issue. Not throwing stones, just saying there's a lot of variables.

Having done ALOT of different turbo builds, I for one see ZERO justification in the pure stage 2 cost.

Even with talking with one of the biggest turbo builders and sellers Jose(Forced inductions in Alabama) who built me an 88mm for my compounds that spools faster than my old 80mm.... he basically chuckled when I asked on modifying these turbos.

2 wheels- $300
Rebuild kits- $300(on the high side)
Machine work- let's say $300 for 3 hours of time on each at $50 per hour!

Stage 2 final cost.... $4k!

You catch my drift.

Down side is if you modify the turbine size and A/R (which from what I havr read Pure does) without increasing fuel injector sizing you'll actually make less power since your changing the position of the "efficient" range of the turbos to much later in the RPM....

Like I posted in last post, call Turbo Performance products (TPP) and talke to Levi about getting some manifold blankets made and also turbo blankets. You WILL ABSOLUTELY see quicker spool, lower underhood temps, and better boost/ power.

Just as a reference, I can go do a wide open run on one of my 1200hp+ trucks and heat it up to a short 1400* exhaust temp sprint, hop out and go put my hands directly on the blankets and keep it there with out being burnt.

Now the header design is by far the biggest improvement you can make.

Using the pics M5James have posted before: the amount of turbulence the air at the exhaust accumulator sees is flat out stupid! Horrific "just cram it in" design. This causes the exhaust pulses to crash against each other which is one of the reasons the s63 feels like it's bogging down in low rpms.

The s63tu was much better thought out and

Now from a weight to power ratio, from a dead stop yes! BUT when in motion gearing and power mean more

Good example is I've got a 13,000lb dually truck that has eaten a 2017 M5 Alive on an open roll from a 60 to 130, but 80psi of boost making almost 2200ft lbs of torque will do that! From a dead stop, no chance in

Last edited by Performancedieselpros; 03-12-2018 at 02:29 PM..
Appreciate 1