12-31-2013, 03:49 PM   #4
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
I've always preferred VC to PP, not sure exactly why, I guess it's just the underdog thing. I'd have to say that if I were spending the money though, I'd probably buy an A Lange over either though.
I think that a major part of why one rarely sees VC watches is that the things VC does better than the other top tier brands are things that cost huge sums. While every VC has a steller movement inside, it's neither better nor worse than offerings from other top brands like PP, ALS, Breguet, Parmagiani, de Bethune, Arnold & Son, and many others. So while one will certainly have a fantastic watch buying any VC, their styling is what, for me, distinguishes them from the other top major brands.

For example, the Patrimony is a beautiful watch. It's got a stellar movement inside of a well designed round watch case. Lots of folks make excellent, beautiful, round watches, so I'd choose a basic round watch from a brand that doesn't make something more distinctive than that.

For me, ALS is a great choice for a round, regular duty dress watch. The Saxonia and Richard Lange lines are spot on, as is the JLC MC and JLC MUT. Plus, as a round watch, I feel like a round dress watch is a round dress watch; the dial, hands and numbers will distinguish it for me more than the case design. So, in a simple, round dress watch, I'd most likely pick an ALS over a VC. In practice, I'd go with the Piaget Altiplano over both because Piaget is the king of thin, round dress watches. It's what they are best known for and they do it better than all others.

Of the VC offerings, I'd pick either one of the Chinese New Year watches (snake or horse) or one of the Historiques (the long rectangular one) or the 1972, my favorite (shown here: http://www.f30post.com/forums/showpo...7&postcount=17).

I really like ALS for two of their watches (not discussing their movements per se, because the achievement there speaks for itself). I really don't see myself wanting either and having anything as an alternate consideration. They are more likely watches I'd consider against each other than against competing brand's watches. Both are stunning, but I'm definitely more a "good looks" junkie than a movement junkie, even though I appreciate great movements and they matter somewhat to me.
  • Lange1 -- mostly for what it represents for ALS' re-entry to watchmaking in the modern era. I think it's pretty dramatic looking in black (GL1), but rather bland in silver (L1). (even when I tried it on, I liked black better)
  • Zeitwerk I like for it's funky looks, which I actually like better than the L1, even the newer version of the new GL1 with its lumed date and see through dial.
Visually, I might consider a GO Pano-watch, but who knows which one. I do prefer the GOs visually. I prefer the Panomatic Date's look but the multidimensional dials on the Panomatic Counter is quite unique and the insane symmetry of the PMC is just stunning. The Panomatic Lunar is impressive, but to me, there's just something that's not right about the balance of all the watch face elements. That said, if the seller were offering a good enough deal, I could be persuaded.

All the best and TY for your thoughts.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0