View Single Post
      02-21-2019, 07:19 PM   #1
aloyouis
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 x28 MSport

Dealer is replacing the Valve Stem Seals under the lawsuit warranty

Hi all,

I called my dealer to set up a recall fix and an oil change and they informed me that the X5 was due to be inspected for the Valve Seal inspection and timing belt chain inspection.

The results of the testing are that the timing chain is tight and does not need to be replaced but they approved replacing the Valve Stem Seals. This will be done at no charge. In addition, they are covering 3 oil changes and replacing the battery at no charge.

I warned him (kinda jokingly) that this thing better come back to me with nothing else "found" that will be chargeable and he already hit me with an expansion tank crack for coolant. I knew there was a small leak some where and they are replacing it for the cost of the part (Their cost: $195) only since they have it apart already.

To summarize:

Valve stem seals
battery
oil change
new coolant expansion tank

$195 + tax

MY QUESTIONS

1. I am no mechanic (not even close). I do basic maintenance items only with brakes being about as complicated as I will undertake. That said, I really don't know how complex of a job the VSS replacement is. What would need to be replaced in addition to the seals just to get the VSS job done? In other words and given how these things leak all kinds of different colors (LOL) what else am I "getting"? Do the heads come off, new head gaskets?

Anything else?

2. I assume that many, many components will need to be removed/disassembled in order to do the VSS job (He stated they "drop the engine" on to a cart). These items that are disconnected to drop the engine are 88K miles and 8 years old. Something (a hose, a wire, a clamp etc.) WILL BREAK during this VSS job. Who pays for these things? What if something doesn't work right after they are done such as the cooling fan? Again, who pays to diagnose and fix after the fact?

3. This question is a scary one because I have only had this thing since October so my "repair fund" only only up to $375 ($125 a month saved so far). Is there anything else I should have them do while they have it opened up to take advantage of the labor savings? I can probably spend $800 on items in this category if it makes sense and will avoid future expense.

That is a ****-ton of stuff to throw at you folks here, but I respect your learned opinions and would really appreciate any information and/or advice. The car is there now and they start on it tomorrow. He thinks it will be good top go on late Friday or early Monday.

Thank you all for any help.

Jim

PS - I posted this same thing on Bimmerfest was well and received some helpful comments. I a hoping you folks can add some!
Appreciate 0