04-13-2017, 03:01 AM   #50
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 X5M Alpine White on Sakhir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myaddiction View Post
Not sure if you're messing with me at this point. You responded right above that post after I mentioned it was the AA tune twice.
Sorry, I started replying via my phone (which died) and then edited at a later point on a work computer while trying to rush a reply. I'd forgotten you had an AA tune.

Quote:
Yep, it's all a BR tune. Some of the Vendors have done insignificant tweaks to legally claim it as theirs. Nothing besides minor stuff that often gets washed out by the compensation tables. Ask them to make actual changes to the tune based on logged data and the tap dancing starts.
"Yep, it's all *started as* a BR tune. I can't imagine that my tuner is saying he can make me a tune that'll make the JB4 unnecessary, much like they do over on the M5 boards, and only have it done by little tweaks. What they do exactly is beyond me, but that's a bit of a stretch. My tuner is sending me a second tune based on my logs and issues that have arisen due to settings via the JB4.

Quote:
I'm glad you're getting results. I'm not selling parts, simply stating the data I have. At sea level in San Diego @70F mine hits 17.4 on the stock tune and the AA stage 2 tune hits 21 with timing corrections on the top end even with E30. Same as before the Stage 1 upgrade.
What are you using to see that you're hitting these PSI's? Are you implying that you hitting these PSI's on the daily, no matter what? The only reason I ask what your using to see these numbers is that I've used the Torque app for months, pre and post tune, and no matter what, I'd only see 17.4PSI. I'm sure there was some PID I needed to change, I even found a few threads about how it's done, but nothing I did changed what was displayed. I also know there's something about commanded vs actual and absolute vs targeted. There was a Top Gear episode with an F10 M5 in Australia that explained it vaguely in that the engine would adjust its boost as needed so that no matter, it'd hit it's advertised numbers...it might only need 10PSI when it's 30* and sea level but it'd push the full 17.4PSI when it's 80* out and at 5000'.

Quote:
Would like to see your JB4 logs to see what timing is doing for you at that boost level.
Mind you, my logs are a mess, I've made changes to spark plugs and gaps, fuel mixtures, etc and I'm still waiting for my second tune. At this point the I've pretty much stopped running any E85 mixtures or doing anymore logging until I get meth going - http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45655

Quote:
I'm sure if you put the time and money into it there are gains to be had. I just don't see it with this platform. On my GTR it was 4K in parts and I was in the 10's. This platform is cheap to buy now and a fun DD at the DP and tune level. After that you're blazing the path. I hope it works out for you.
That's comparing apples to oranges...as rare as the GTR might be, the X*M is even rarer, so HP per dollar spent will never match. I've told the GF that dollar per dollar, her 535xiT could walk me if we spent as much on hers as I've done on mine.

My next mods in order are a BMS meth kit since I sold my Aquamist setup, adding and x-pipe and deleteing the stock muffler to put Vibrant resonators in their place (suggestion from M6Beast, he's got YouTube videos that'll give an idea on how it sounds) and last but not least adding F10 M5 headers after I have either Pure or Turbo Labs of America make me some stage 2's. After that I'm screwed because the trans can't handle the power...a company will rebuild it to handle over 1k for $5k or a buddy is determined to think he can swap in the DCT from an F10 M5.

I agree that these are getting cheap to buy and to a point can even be cheap to get more power. Nice example of a JB4 only truck doing 11.7 - http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44867
Appreciate 0