Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killramos
Quote:
Originally Posted by MmmTwo35 View Post
Help me out guys in a nutshell, short story, what does LSD get you?
Without an LSD your car is actually 1 wheel drive. Can't supply torque to both wheels at the same time and will only supply torque to the wheel with less grip. The downside to the magic that is open diffs.

An LSD only lets the wheels spin at different speeds by a certain (limited) amount. Usually a percentage like 30%. at which point the diff locks and the wheels both get driven.

This is in contrast to locked diffs ok off road trucks which supply equal torque and rotational speed to both rear (and likely front) wheels at the same time. Of all calls had locked diffs you couldn't turn on a road.

Now to be fair out cars already have a pseudo e-diff. (Actually the sales specs on mine called it an electromechanical limited slip differential which is a bit disingenuous)

If the car senses slip on a wheel it will selectively apply brakes to that wheel to attempt to send torque to the other wheel by adding resistance. The problem is this system doesn't work all that well and is slow.

A LSD will help you a lot of the race track, drag racing, and snow driving. Basically anything where you are at the lot of your handling and want that 10% more.
With lsd..u think all seasons will be good enough in the winters where there're snow?? (Asking out loud)
Appreciate 0